Topic: Senate Bill 10, California Ends Cash Bail
Segment: D Report
Participants: Sam Sueoka
Broadcast Air Date: 09/07/18
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
– What is the Cash Bail system?
– How does SB 10 end the cash bail system?
– What is the effect of the cash bail system on our communities?
– When will SB 10 take effect? October 2019
– Is the cash bail system unconstitutional?
– How does the cash bail system disproportionally affect low income people and communities of color?
– Is being detained in jail because of an inability to pay the bail fees, an infringement of due process?
-How does the cash bail system favor people that have more money and punish the poor?
– What system will replace the cash bail system?
– Will the use of a pretrial determination lead to more detentions?
– What algorithms will be used to assess whether a person should be released or maintained in custody?
– Why did the ACLU and Human Watch pull out their support for the bill SB 10 when they are original co-sponsors of the bill?
– How do we address institutional racism within the judicial system?
– Why is the moment of judicial reform more comfortable addressing economics and not racism?
– Why does SB10 continue to place communities of color at risk of being over incarcerated?
-Can we talk about the nation-wide pattern of over policing, over sentencing and detention of members of our communities all over the United States?
– How do we change a judicial system that operates under a fear of people of color?
– What are the details of the validated risk assessment tools?
– Can SB10 become another tool for mass incarceration?
– What are the costs of having a judicial system that over incarnates people?
-What is the history of the judicial system in the manufacture and maintenance of race in order to benefit a few at the expense of the many?