10/19/18 Music Culture Ambassadors
Topic: Music, Education, China, Culture and Society
Segment: D Report
Participants: Eduardo Valencia, Musician, Educator Scholar
Broadcast Air Date: 10/19/18
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
– – How does music build diplomatic relationships between people from different nations?
– The band buyepongo goes to China. http://buyepongo.com/index
– Can you mix cumbia, merengue, jazz, afro, hip hop , funk and soul into one sound?
– Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong were music goodwill ambassadors.
– First generation immigrants represent American music.
– How do you prepare to meet people from different countries as goodwill ambassadors?
– How do genuine encounters between people become mediated by government departments?
– Can you still communicate with people even if you don’t speak the language?
– How does music become a unifying factor?
– How do you make a people dance when you are told that the respective community does not dance?
– How do you say, ” everybody dance” in Chinese?
– What does it mean to dance in its free form?
– Is there a right or wrong way to dance?
– Is traditional a word for something that only goes back 20- 30 years?
– Where is the room for creativity if you are trying to reproduce the traditional?
– How do we hold onto our roots when we are people that move?
– How does music spread throughout the world?
– Why do we defend membership by trying to define culture as “traditional,” “untainted” ,or “Pure?”
– What will happen to the music that Buyepongo left behind in China?
– Music and language is a human universal trait?
– Is music a form of medicine?
– Is music essential in brain development?