12/07/18 What Civilization?
Topic: Nations, Civilization, Immigration, Borders
Segment: D Report
Broadcast Air Date: 11/30/18
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
– What does civilization mean?
– What border are we protecting?
– What is American society?
– Whose country are we protecting
– Are we using the past colonial models in defining the “civilized” in our present?
– How are kingdoms and countries, different?
– Can we distinguish the divide between national institutions, armies, and economies and the individual people?
– How old are countries?
– Was it justified to spray tear gas on people attempting to enter the United States?
– What is the history of violence in the construction and maintenance of countries?
– What are the rules that countries impose on people?
– Who granted permission to use violence in the name of countries?
– Who benefits from the building of walls?
– Do the soldiers that throw stones from the top of walls, benefit from protecting the interests of the king?
– Would you walk away from your job if you were asked to something against your beliefs?
– What is the debate between old ideas and new ideas?
– How much resources are required to keep old ideas working?
– Change is natural and necessary.
– Who benefits from stopping new ideas?
– What is asylum?
– Who qualifies for asylum protection?
– Can you petition for asylum if you are not located in an “official port of entry?”