Topic: DNA, Genetic testing kits. Race deconstruction, Ancestry, Indigenous Anthropology, Medical Anthropology
Participants: Laurette McGuire PhD, Associate Professor, Medical and Indigenous Anthropology, CSU San Marcos
Broadcast Air Date: 03/01/19
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
- Medical Anthropology
- Indigenous Anthropology
- Why is Race a social construct?
- Can DNA kits tell us your race?
- Can the DNA kits provide a racial composition if race is a social construct?
- Can you be “part Indian?”
- How do indigenous communities define community membership?
- Can biology tell you where you come from?
- Are the present DNA ancestry movements based on the past assumptions of race-based beliefs of blood differences?
- The paternity tests are different from the pseudo-scientific classifications of race?
- What does it mean to have a percentage of previously unknown membership?
- How do we define community membership in a non- biological basis?
- How do the companies test your DNA for ancestry?
- Why do the companies use probability and statistics to determine social ancestry?
- Can people go to biology in order to make sense of their social realities?
- What is the history of Anthropology as part of the colonial project?
- Can DNA be sold and traded for profit?
- How much money is made from holding on to the old ideas of race and nationality as biologically based?
- How much will capitalism benefit from turning DNA into a profit commodity?
- Who you are and who claims you is a lot more than your DNA?
- What is the difference between pan- ethnicity and ethnicity?
- How will DNA be used to question indigenous communities as authentic or inauthentic?”
- Kimberly TallBear, PhD
- Will the US government use DNA markers to empower or hurt people?
- Do the DNA ancestry kits tell you if you are America?
- Why is racial purity absent from the DNA results?