Topic: Disarming UC campus Police, Creating safe campus, UAW 2865
Segment: D Report
Participants: Blu Buchanan, Sociology PhD Candidate , UC Davis
Broadcast Air Date: 06/01/18
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
-What are the goals of the group Disarm UC?
-UAW 2865 represent student academic workers such as Teaching Assistants?
– Students and Workers Ending Racial Violence ( SWERV)
– Why was Disarm UC organized?
– How do we discuss the risk of student violence by campus police?
-What is the role of campus police departments?
– Why do parents feel safe sending their children and loved ones a campus with police officers carrying guns?
– Is campus police safer to students than the city police?
– Do students of color have a different experience with campus police?
-What is the connection between present police to the past slave patrols and strike breaking groups?
– How did the student protest movement of the 1960’s produce the present performance of power with campus police?
– How are campus police different from off-campus police?
– How does the short Institute memory of university shield campus police from criticism?
-When was the paper spray incident of UC Davis?
-What happened in Georgia Tech that led to scout Shultz being shot to death by campus police?
– Is the reason why the violence by campus police on colleges is not talked about because the victims of violence are already marginalized?
– Can we question if the campus police have to be armed?
-How do campus police reinforce and protect the systems of oppression and inequality?
– Why do campus police protect building over student protesters in need of support?
– Why are Police and Policing given a false history?
-Where does Police get its authority?
– Did hunters and gatherers have police?
– What is the legacy of the UC system in terms of student protests and activism?
– How does campus administration funnel students into reformist positions as way of stopping actual change?
– Why is the white moderate more dangerous than the KKK?
– Why does the administration work so hard to manage the students that want to see the university look different?
-Students have visions of the university that is beautiful and productive.
-What can we do to make the university a safer place?
-Can you remove the guns from the campus police in order to make the campus a safer place for students?
– Is the police as an institution the place of protection of whiteness and toxic masculinity?
– How does the UAW 2865 union acknowledge the long history of gender and racial violence by campus police in its contract?
– Are police unions anti-union and anti-worker rights?
– Why did UAW2865 officially declare that police unions fail to qualify as labor organizations unions in 2015?
– What is the responsibility of teachers and educators on college campus to keep the students safe from potential threats by campus police?
– How can a new UAW2865 contract help protect students and workers?
-David Cole was tackled and arrested by UC Berkeley Police for exercising his right to strike?
– How do we build a safer and beautiful campus for everyone?