Topic: Los Angeles Teacher’s Strike, Education, Charter schools
Segment: D Report
Participants: Miho Murai,Education Attorney and Tony Osumi,Teacher
Broadcast Air Date: 01/11/19
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
- Why are the teachers of Los Angeles potentially going on strike?
- The strike date is set for Monday 1/14/19.
- What are the issues under negotiation?
- Why is class size reduction important in education?
- What are the working conditions for teachers?
- Why is LAUSD proposing a two-tier system for teacher benefits?
- How do we protect the teaching profession?
- How can we improve schools by increasing nurses, counselors and therapists?
- Less standardize testing will improve education?
- How do we increase corporate charter school accountability?
- Does LAUSD want to dismantle its public-school system in order to welcome the corporate charter schools?
- What were the class sizes in the late 1990’s
- How do we speak to the parents to explain that the strike is act is in advocacy of children?
- When did New Orleans close its last public school?
- What happens when a school district is replaced by corporate charter schools?
- Everyone gets a chance to go to a public school.
- How does teacher bashing help undermine education as a public institution?
- How do we transform the dialogue to credit the importance of teaching to continuing our society?
- Why do we shame teachers for demanding living wages and benefits by telling teachers that the profession of teaching is not meant to make them rich?
- How many teachers have to get a second job to meet their economic needs?
- Los Angeles Unified School District has 9 billion dollars?
- What are the larger society effects of injuring the profession of teaching?
- An injury to teachers is an injury to all?
- What are the ways that parents and community members can support the teachers on strike?