Topic: Los Angeles Teacher’s Strike, Education, Charter schools, Teaching
Segment: D Report
Participants: Tony Osumi, Teacher and UTLA member
Broadcast Air Date: 01/25/19
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
- What were the terms of the resolution leading to the end of the teachers’ strike?
- The UTLA teacher’s strike lasted 6 days.
- What are the terms of the new 3-year agreement between UTLA and LAUSD?
- LAUSD Schools will have full-time nurses.
- What are new terms regarding class size reductions?
- What is section 1.5 of the contract loop hole?
- How does class size reduction affect student learning?
- Middle schools and High schools will get full-time librarians?
- Academic counselors are reduced from over 700 students for every one counselor to 500 students to one counselor?
- Reduce standardize testing by 50%.
- Teachers will receive a retroactive pay increase of 3% and an additional 3% starting the following academic cycle.
- What are community schools?
- There will be 30 community schools in LAUSD.
- LAUSD will reevaluate the over racialized policing measure that it disproportionately applies to Black and Brown students.
- How did the 2019 Los Angeles Teacher’s strike capture the imagination of the nation and world?
- Teachers have been advocating for reforms in West Virginia, Massachusetts, Chicago and Arizona.
- How do we raise the issue of low public-school funding and increasing privatization movements?
- Why did New Orleans close its public-school system to replace it with private corporate charter schools?
- What is the superintendent Austin Beutners’ plan for corporate charter schools within LAUSD?
- Why convert public schools into corporate profit-making centers?
- What did parents, teachers, and students learn from the teacher’s strike?
- How do we connect social justice issues as union issues?
- How do we maintain the history record of teacher advocacy?
- How do we process the experience of teachers picketing outside of school?
- Parents supported teachers on strike by raising money to buy lunches for teachers.
- When did the word union become almost a “bad word?”
- What happens when you put the words teachers, unions and workers together?
- How do we put union faces to our teachers?
- Why are cities being economically speculated by corporations?
- What is the risk of privatizing public schools to parents and children?
- What are the common good issues?
- California is ranked #46 in student spending.
- Can you be more effective teacher by being engaged in the complex world?
- Have you read the work of “>Grace lee Boggs?
- The teachers’ strike connects us to the examples Swimmy by Leo Leoni.
- How do we rethink education systems to become tools of liberation?