04/26/19 Decolonizing Indigenous Identity
Topic: Decolonization, Healing the earth Conference, Indigenous Identity
Participants: Joaquin Malta, UC Riverside-Native American Student Association Vice-Chair 2018 – 2019
Broadcast Air Date: 04/26/19
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
– 3rd Annual Healing the Earth Conference. April 27,2019 @ UC Riverside
Location: INTS building room 1113, 8:30 Am to 5PM
– What is decolonizing indigenous identity?
– How many of us are confused curious about indigenous identity?
– Who can identify as indigenous?
– Do we view Identity through a colonial lens?
– What are the imposed labels of identification?
– Why is the concept of identity so difficult to address?
– Can you use the term indigenous if you do not have the infrastructure of support?
– Do we need permission in order to use the term Indigenous?
– How do we decolonize the way we see ourselves?
– Are we trying to understand ourselves by using constructs that were never intended to give us a powerful answer?
– Is the term decolonization being used the same way across the different communities?
– Should we question the application of the word “conquest” to describe native communities?
– How do we tell the story of who we are now and who we will be in the future?
All rights reserved by original artist.
Artist:Nahuatl Sound System
Album: No Temas EP
Licensed to YouTube by [Merlin] Symphonic Distribution, CD Baby (on behalf of Aztek Electronic Music)