05/03/19 Ancestry- Deciding Who We Want To Be
Topic: Ancestry, Education, Assimilation,
Participants: Brandon Duran
Broadcast Air Date: 05/03/19
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
- How was the education system designed to erase us?
- How do we use the past to help us define the present?
- How do we keep the memory of the people that came before us?
- Are blood quantum criteria a colonial invention designed to erase indigenous people?
- Why do we fail to acknowledge the experience of erasing that results from attending the K through 12 school system?
- How are we rewarded for being versed in the language of the colonial system?
- If we can be whatever we want, then why are we becoming what the system wants us to be?
- If we have many different ways that we can live, then why does the school system prepares us for only one?
- How do we decide the people we want to be?