““ A la sombra de cada arbol, una aula escolar. At the shade of every tree there was a classroom” – Alfredo Acosta Figueroa
Topics: La Escuela de la Raza Unida, Education, Chicana Movement, Freedom Community School
Title – La Escuela de La Raza Unida: A classroom at the Shade of Every Tree
Participants: Alfredo Acosta Figueroa , Angelica Figueroa Rodriguez
Publish Date: 06/22/2021
Homepage : http://www.dreport.org
Also available on:
AnchorFM, iTunes, RadioPublic, Spotify, Soundclound
Send comments about this segment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Was Blythe California originally a mining town?
- How did La Escuela de la Raza Unida begin?
- Why did showing a video of Nixon eating grapes outside the Los Angeles Memorial Auditorium result in aggression against a student in a MECHA meeting in a Blythe school?
- The failure of the school board to respond to the demands to reprimand the principal for injuring the MECHA student resulted in Demesia Figueroa saying “ we will never send another one of our children to the public school.”
- How do you build a school when you are not a formally trained educator?
- The office of United Farm Workers and Bert Corona Bert Corona – Wikipedia were supporters of the school, La Escuela de la Raza Unida.
- The Escuela de la Raza Unida was started on May 1, 1972
- How did the old post office building become the new site of the school ( La Escuela de la Raza Unida)?
- KERU, Chicana bilingual radio station in California.
- The students in the school were active participants in the college and community movements.
- Crystal City, Texas and Denver, Colorado also started similar schools to La Escuela de la Raza Unida.
- Why was it against the law to sing the corrido of Joaquin Murrieta?
- Pedro J Gonzales, Los Madrigadores was one of the first Mexican American radio broadcasters in Los Angeles in 1927/8?
- What type public school of education program was being offered to Mexican- American and Chicana students in the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s?
- Agricultural Workers Community, AWOC
- In 1965 there was a grape strike in Coachella.
- Tlatelolco school in Denver Colorado.
- Why didn’t the other community alternative schools last as long as La Escuela de La Raza Unida?
- How did La Escuela de la Raza Unida operate without state funds?
- Why did Cesar Chavez donate a bus to La Escuela de la Raza Unida ?
- What was the student experience of attending La Escuela de la Raza Unida?
- What are the post COVID-19 plans for La Escuela de la Raza Unida?