08/10/18 Cinema Culturas- Time to tell our own stories
Topic: Film, Culture, Community, Film Festival, Coachella Valley,
Segment: D Report
Participants: Cony Martinez, PhD, General Director Cinema Culturas Foundation
Broadcast Air Date: 08/10/18
Time: 5:15 PM (PST)
Station: KUCR 88.3 FM Riverside, CA
KUCR station page: http://www.kucr.org
Archive pages: https://soundcloud.com/stoppretending, http://www.dreport.org
Send comments about this segment to: email@example.com
Segment produced in KUCR, the radio station of the University California in Riverside.
Disclaimer: The views expressed are the sole responsibility of the respective speakers and do not represent the endorsed position of the UC Regents, UC Riverside or KUCR.
-How do we recognize the power of film?
-Why is it important to make film accessible to the community?
– What is Cinema Culturas?
– How does the community connect and become impacted by the film festival?
-Does everyone in Los Angeles want to be an actor, director or movie producer?
– Does film also express the hierarchy of society?
-Instead of talking about the other, can film allow people to talk for themselves?
– Is your heart in the right place in order to you make things accessible?
-The heart of the film festival is about the stories being told.
-What is the “ other” Coachella?
-How do we exercise the act of being inclusive?
– Why is it important to screen the films in accessibility to the producing community?
-What stories are you filming and where are these stories taking place is just as important as why you decided to film?
-Is the festival in the fields about highlighting our home?
– How do we honor the people that tell their stories?
-What is the difference between sharing someone’s stories and appropriating someone’s stories?
– Do we have ownership of our own stories?
– How do we trust that the inclusive practice is expected to be difficult?
– Can we distinguish the authentic commitment to be inclusive from in-authentic inclusivity?
-How do we embrace language as a barrier to create opportunities to open more doors?
– Is it fair to consider film as a medium that is exclusive and difficult to get into?
-What is the difference between the film industry and the use of film to tell stories a create community?
– Our stories do not have to be told by Hollywood; It is time for us to tell our own stories.
– How do we portray our communities as creative people?
– How do we address the issues of representation as the divide between the stereotypes and the realities that we own?
– How do we take ownership the great creativity available in our homes ?
– Why is it more important to get the story right than getting the filming aspect right?